Saturday, October 12, 2019

"Do you plan to return to your home country after residency?"



Listen to this audio clip of an online practice interview that I recently conducted. My question to the applicant was whether she had any intention to return back to her home country after residency training. You can read below the transcript of this clip from the interview.



***
Dr Ed (me): And I also saw that in your personal statement you talked about a shortage of qualified primary medical physicians in India and you also talk about how you want to probably make some changes in policies or try to improve upon that so that it is not going to be a financial burden.  Does that mean that after residency you plan to go back to India?

SS: Okay, so Dr. Ed, my most important thing that I feel as a doctor is reaching out to people who really need your help.  If I have the knowledge and skill, and I am not able to provide it to the people who need it the most, I will not be able to justify my knowledge. And I have this feeling that we have a certain section of underprivileged population not only in India, but across the world. And it was my experience in India that I had witnessed this kind of disparity in healthcare provisions.  But my work tomorrow after residency or fellowship is going to address the needs of the people not only in India but across the world.
***

Okay, so what just happened here in this interview exchange? Did the applicant answer the question that was asked?  Are you satisfied with this answer from the applicant?

The question was structured to have a 'yes' or 'no' answer. IMHO, my question was not answered directly or may be even indirectly.

I do realize that when an applicant who is an international medical graduate is asked this question there are certain aspects that make it confusing to frame an answer. If you say that you plan to return to your home country right after residency, then the interviewing faculty member is quite likely to think that "you are not serious about residency training" or" that is a crazy thing to do" or" why should we train you and spend all the time and effort for you just to go back to your home country".  Yes, many of us do have a sense of patriotism towards our home country. In reality though, US residency programs train you to practice only in the US (OK, some may argue that some procedural skills can be applied in any country).

On the other hand, if you say that you plan to stay in the US after residency, that is a fine answer if you are serious about it. This response is not considered negatively in the mind of the interviewer, though it may lead to more questions such as your plans after residency training on a J1 visa [that requires you to return to her home country for 2 years]. And for some, it is very difficult to say it straight to the interviewer and commit to staying in the US permanently after residency training for a variety of personal reasons and family reasons.  I get that.

My answer to this question would be as follows: "Dr. Ed, I gave a lot of thought to that question.  Because my parents and all my family members are based in India, it is difficult for me to say most certainly that I will be settling in the US after residency training.  At this time, I am very much focused on working hard in residency to become an excellent physician at the end of my training. I do plan to work a number of years after residency so that I can apply all the skills that I learned during residency to practice medicine comfortably and independently. At that time, I will be in a better position to decide whether to settle in the US or return back to my home country."

I feel that the above response shows that you have given serious thought to plans of settling in the US after residency and at least for now have a plan in mind as best as you can. It also provides a clear answer to the interviewer.  No one can predict the future and what that may bring but sharing your thoughts with the interviewer freely and confidently will satisfy the interviewer.

What you think about the above response?  Do think it is balanced or still ambiguous?  Writing your comments and do share with your friends.



Photo credit for image in post: https://ifpnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Reverse-Brain-Drain-in-Iran-Elites-Returning-to-H.jpg
https://www.thebalancecareers.com/thmb/hdaLssMa0sQemPzHa3gglVmBQPw=/1280x853/filters:fill(auto,1)/video_chat_teleconference_200551014-001-56b08b5d5f9b58b7d023f209.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment